Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Entrepreneurs ~ How Do You Do What You Do?

Today is Tuesday and it snowed again last night.  I woke to about an inch of snow and was told by the boss I should stay in my Hugoton office as the roads were fairly dicey.  

An inch of snow is normally not a problem out here unless it's a dry snow, which this was.  Dry snow doesn't like to stay put, it likes to blow all over the place and cause white out conditions in areas and pack into ice under the weight of the semis that run all night long.  Not to mention, when cars and trucks pass you, heading in the opposite direction, they blow snow everywhere and you have no visibility whatsoever.  Thus, I got to stay close to home this morning, which I was thankful for.

I work in two separate offices which are about 35 miles apart.  Normally, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I'm in the long range office, whereas on Mondays and Fridays I get to stay close to home. This little bit of snow put a kink in my schedule and I had to work in both offices today.  I don't mind the drive at all anymore but I like to stay busy and that's what I am not, after a 35 mile drive.  

I cut my lunch short to make the drive and get to the long range office as close to 1:00 as possible only to find there is absolutely nothing to do here today. This is an issue I've run into for months, since my part time transfer to the long range office and I have to tell you, it's really getting old.  I am thankful I have a job, please do not mistake this blog as a cry to quit, I simply would like to be more productive with my time.

As I have enlarged my Google+ community, I've read so many discussions about how busy you all are in your jobs and I have to say, I feel a little left behind. No, no, it's not your fault (obviously), it's perhaps that I'm a little jealous of your ability to stay so busy.

If you are a person that works from your home, or on the go, how do you find information you feel would be interesting enough for your readers to flock to? How do you pick what to write about, share about, and still have time to do whatever it is you do to bring an income into your household?

I find that if I spend my personal time reading everything you put out here, I end up not having time to do the things I need to do for my own business. The flood of information out here is crazy and I have a difficult time deciding what to read, what to bookmark, what to print, what to calendar.

I can now rename my blog as the content of it has given itself to me.  

I encourage comments and feedback because, honestly, you are all amazing to me and I need your good examples to rub off on me a little.  


2 comments:

  1. Roberta, all I can really say is "I totally and wholeheartedly agree with you." The other day, I was navigating deep into the recesses of my cell phone options menu, and decided to turn off the "flash to notify of new messages" and also disabled the ringtone for text messages. Its amazing how much less time I am spending checking my phone now. I don't hear it. I don't see it flash. I wish there was a way to calculate the amount of time I'm getting back in my day, but I truly forget about my phone and only check it a couple of times a day now. Now I think I need to close browser windows and email for a set amount of time each day, in order to get that much work done. I think its going to work very well for me. Great blog post by the way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, how many times did you get yelled at for not answering text messages fast enough? LOL! I'm ridiculously negligent of my phone and generally have it on silent so I don't get bothered or bother others. The only persons who are bothered by this are the ones that are trying to get in touch with me.

      Delete